Monday, November 08, 2004

SNOW!

It has happened. The first snow of the season hit Munich last night. The mountains just an hour south of here are supposedly opened for skiing and snowboarding already. Winter really came quickly. Just last week it was rather warm.

Sunday night, the night of the first snow, I stood out on my balcony and attempted to catch the snow flakes in my hands and mouth. It was amusing, but it would have been nicer to actually play in the snow. Unfortunately, the snow was not sticking. Earlier today, it snowed again, but the flakes were not a big and fluffy as the previous night, nor did they stick to the ground.

I am really excited about the snow!!! But I have been learning some new things about 'Winter' as of late. One of the biggest downfalls is how dark it is. The days are much grayer and the sun sets very early. This darkness inhibits what one can do. I am definitely not used to such darkness. Something else I have recently learned: there is a huge difference between going outside in the winter to just stand and going outside just to get from place to place. If I want to go outside to watch a parade or a concert, it will be sooooo much colder. However, if I am just walking from place to place, I don't have to wear excess clothing. Movement is a very important asset in maintaining warmth while outside in the winter.

I am sure that I will soon be learning more and more about winter while I am here in Munich. No matter how rough it gets, I really appreciate it. It will certainly make me better appreciate the beautiful weather that I experience daily in Southern California. I am actually really excited about this new perspective and appreciative viewpoint that I am gaining. Also, to be honest, I am really looking forward to some qualitity snow ball fights this winter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Courtney,
jetzt habe ich endlich mal Zeit, dein Blog zu lesen. Sehr interessant. Meinem Mann Steve ging es genauso vor 20 Jahren, als er das erste Mal in Deutschland im Winter war. Jedes Mal wenn er nach draussen ging kam er gleich wieder....er hatte seine Jacke vergessen. Er hatte seine Handschuhe vergessen...Es ist gar nicht so einfach.

Die kurzen Tag sind schlecht. Das finde ich auch. Dafuer ist der Fruehling um so besser. Viel Spass noch, und bis ganz bald.

Kann ich Rochelle aus Deiner Dt. 2 Klasse Deine Bloganschrift geben? Sie wuerde sich sicherlich dafuer interessieren, was du schreibst.

Schoene Gruesse, Christiane Staninger